Hey,
As you MAY have noticed, I haven't posted for a while now....for a lot of reasons which I don't find necessary to mention. Anyway I decided to put Stoned Sun Vibrations on hiatus and concentrate my efforts to Downtuned Magazine ('n' Radio). Many of you probably know that Downtuned Mag is dedicated to the Greek heavy rock scene but since I've started Downtuned Radio too, I'm thinking of including posts about releases from all over the world. Apparently I'm going to keep a ratio but we'll see how it'll evolve.
From now on, you can find me on Downtuned Mag. And for any bands interested in reviewing/including them in radio's rotation etc., you can come in touch with me through the contact form over there. As I wrote above. I'll try to keep a ratio and at least in the beginning I'll try to "promote" mostly "smaller", more independent bands that deserve your attention.
So I want to thank each and everyone of you out there who supported, read, promoted and helped this blog. Also a big fat thanks to all the bands which helped SSV in their own way.
That's all for now folks! Thanks again! Maybe SSV will be back someday. Or maybe Downtuned will become better than SSV.... Who knows.
Be well and stay heavy!
Cheers,
Thanos
PS: Rock Trips Mixtapes will be back soon.... They'll be the only thing posted from now on. Perhaps some other personal comps too.

23.4.11

Dead Sea Apes - Soy Dios (2010)


First release for Dead Sea Apes from Manchester, it's a 3-track EP consisting of 3 different remixes of Soy Dios and it's really great. The best description I can give is that they take you inside a lucid dream.
They have a subtle trippy drone in background which shows you the way inside the dream, then drumming is coming to build the world which you are going to live for the next minutes and finally the guitar creates the creatures you are going to meet with it's psych,fuzzy melodies while the bass-lines complete their mission by closing all exit paths from this dream to reality.

The thing is that the more you hearing it, the better it gets. I like the development and structure of their tracks (although I would like to come to a psych,more high-energy burst at the end). Furthermore, they have the ability to show the band's different aspects in just one track. You can feel their psych side, their ambient and drone effects along with the post rock feeling.

As a conclusion, I totally loved them and it managed to travel me in the back-sides of my mind. I want to believe that we'll have more news from them soon.

Here is the press bio,just to know them better:
"Dead Sea Apes are Brett Savage (guitar), Nick Harris (bass) and Chris Hardman (drums). They've been creating music together since mid-2009.  They're based on the outskirts of Manchester, rehearsing amongst the crumbling former mills and warehouses where the M60 meets the upper reaches of the Mersey.
Dead Sea Apes have a 'Third Mind' approach to playing, possessing that strange telepathy that only a handful of bands appear to share. Their music is often epic, wide reaching and transcendent, influenced by landscapes local and non-local.
Their debut single Soy Dios was released in December 2010, a nine-minute instrumental taking its inspiration from the Mexican psycho-Western film El Topo and backed by two equally epic remixes.

As well as working as an instrumental trio, Dead Sea Apes regularly collaborate with other musicians. Recent guests have included Canadian singer-songwriter Gabriel Minnikin and Stray Light's Ellen Poliakoff.  In December 2010 they performed a one-off gig with legendary CAN vocalist Damo Suzuki.
Dead Sea Apes are currently recording more tracks and arranging gigs for 2011."
*Thanks to Brett from Dead Sea Apes for coming in touch.

You can get their release just for 3₤ from their bandcamp.

Take A Look:

No comments:

Post a Comment